Chronic Liver Disease (HCC surveillance and pre-transplant evaluation)
MRI may be used for detection and characterization of lesions in the cirrhotic level is based on T2 signal, diffusion, and contrast enhancement characteristics. Because there is no ionizing radiation in the exam, many images with different contrasts can be obtained of the cirrhotic liver, thereby increasing the sensitivity and specificity of the exam.
NOTE: if an exam is specified as a pre-transplant evaluation, reporting will conform to specific UNOS guidelines.
Download and Print A Request
Examples (click on images)
- Bolog N, Pfammatter T, Mullhaupt B, Andreisek G, Weishaupt D. Double-contrast magnetic resonance imaging of hepatocellular carcinoma after transarterial chemoembolization. Abdom Imaging 2007. PubMed link
- Choi BI, Kim HC, Han JK, et al. Therapeutic effect of transcatheter oily chemoembolization therapy for encapsulated nodular hepatocellular carcinoma: CT and pathologic findings. Radiology 1992; 182:709-713. PubMed link
- Hecht EM, Holland AE, Israel GM, et al. Hepatocellular carcinoma in the cirrhotic liver: gadolinium-enhanced 3D T1-weighted MR imaging as a stand-alone sequence for diagnosis. Radiology 2006; 239:438-447. PubMed link
- Holland AE, Hecht EM, Hahn WY, et al. Importance of small (PubMed link
- Hussain HK, Syed I, Nghiem HV, et al. T2-weighted MR imaging in the assessment of cirrhotic liver. Radiology 2004; 230:637-644. PubMed link
- Kim YK, Kim CS, Chung GH, et al. Comparison of gadobenate dimeglumine-enhanced dynamic MRI and 16-MDCT for the detection of hepatocellular carcinoma. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2006; 186:149-157. PubMed link
- Koh TS, Thng CH, Lee PS, et al. Hepatic metastases: in vivo assessment of perfusion parameters at dynamic contrast-enhanced MR imaging with dual-input two-compartment tracer kinetics model. Radiology 2008; 249:307-320. PubMed link
- Ma X, Samir AE, Holalkere NS, Sahani DV. Optimal arterial phase imaging for detection of hypervascular hepatocellular carcinoma determined by continuous image capture on 16-MDCT. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2008; 191:772-777. PubMed link
- Nishimine K, Uchida H, Matsuo N, et al. Segmental transarterial chemoembolization with Lipiodol mixed with anticancer drugs for nonresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: follow-up CT and therapeutic results. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 1994; 33 Suppl:S60-68. PubMed link